Sunday, February 20, 2011

For Serena and Emma

Yesterday was such a momentous occasion for so many people.  It was my very best friend in the whole world's baby shower for her daughter-to-be, Emma Michele.

For Serena, yesterday meant a soon approaching delivery day; for her mom it marked the beginning of a new life and generation; for others in attendance, it was a new great grandchild, a niece, or a cousin.  For me, yesterday meant another level of kinship in one of my life's finest relationships--Serena is about to join me as "mother."

I'm not sure what it was exactly, but there must have been a great deal of hormones floating through the room yesterday too.  It was so emotional for me too see Serena's pregnant belly for the first time--to remember when I first met her in MeLeod Hall registering for her first-year classes at UVa.  I saw before me a woman with whom I have laughed, cried, argued, celebrated, and been utterly overjoyed.  Most of all, I saw a woman who I profoundly and deeply love.  I am so thankful for the day Serena was born, and I anxiously await the arrival of her baby girl.


























For now . . . practice makes perfect!

2 comments:

Mom said...

You did a wonderful job on Serena's shower...it was so much fun..love you....

Unknown said...

Thank you for everything. I had a great time and it was a beautiful shower. I love you