Thursday, March 11, 2010

WTF

WTF?
Excuse me? What did you say? Well, that's mightly dumb.

For quite awhile now, Justin and I have been discussing our "cord blood" options. We've explored the possibility of collecting and privately storing Jackson's cord blood, but eventually decided that it was too expensive at the current time. We're talking upwards of $2,000 plus annual storage fees. So . . . I went with the next best option . . . or so I thought.

I just couldn't imagine letting such valuable life-saving cells get thrown away (I even have a co-worker whose daughter received an anonymous cord blood transplant to cured her leukemia), so I researched cord blood donation and contacted CryoBank International this morning to enroll (they tell you not to do this until your 3rd trimester, so this seemed like a logical time).

However, a very cross-sounding representative came onto the line and squashed me.

"When are you due?" ... I answered... "We are full for that month, sorry you can't donate."

. . . and that was that . . .

WTF? I ask . . . (myself, of course). So-- there are tons of people out there with cancers and other potentially curable diseases--and you have a perfectly healthy and willing donor of immunologically immature cord blood stem cells that could save their lives--but you are too busy during the month of May to collect it?

What has the corporate world come to? This is just sad. Please post if you agree.

No comments: