Monday, January 10, 2011

SOLD! and a Soapbox

We did it!  We settled on the new house this morning at 10 o'clock!  We are no longer "homeless."  After settlement this morning we placed our carpet order (Flooring America seems to be a GREAT company so far!), sold the old stove to a contractor, replaced the door locks, met with our painter (he is soooo nice, and I get to completely customize the colors for NO extra charge), and went to Home Depot to purchase our glass shower doors.  Can I just tell you how thrilled I am about this house???  It is about 1,000 square foot smaller than our Bristow house, but still 4 beds and 2.5 baths.  It is just the absolute perfect size for our family!  I love how things are so much more "homey" in the new place...and I love how much easier it will be to keep clean.  I kept saying to Justin today "I just love it!  Love it!  This actually feels like a home rather than a big structure!"  I cannot wait until everything is complete so I can post pictures of it for you, my faithful readers!  I plan to soon post an exterior photo at least!  Stay tuned.

*****

And while I'm here...will you allow me to climb up on my soapbox for a moment?  The more news I keep hearing regarding the Arizona Safeway shooting, the more livid I get.  How many times is it going to take before people WAKE UP!!!  The 9-11 terrorists were EDUCATED in our country, LIVING in our country, and PURCHASED WEAPONS in our country...then, they took down the Twin Towers and thousands of American lives.  The Virginia Tech shooter was mentally unstable and EVERYONE KNEW IT!  Yet, he continued WITHOUT HELP and PURCHASED A WEAPON...then he tragically took the lives of VT students and faculty.  Now, the Arizona shooter was MENTALLY UNSTABLE, dabbling in the OCCULT in his PARENTS' HOME, and his classmates FEARED him.  Still, he PURCHASED A WEAPON and PLANNED the attack UNDER HIS PARENTS' roof...and now more innocent people, including a precious 9-year-old girl, are dead.  How many innocent lives must be lost before people will SPEAK UP when they see HUGE RED FLAGS???  

I am not an expert on crime prevention, but I have spoken up on two occasions, although on a much smaller scale, to try to stop violence.  Once for a hospital patient in my care and once for a college friend in a toxic and abusive relationship.  Please do not be silent when those hairs on the back of your neck stand up!

If a friend scares you: TALK to him/her.  If you can't, TELL someone who CAN.

Teachers, if a student scares you, get him HELP.

Heathcare workers, it is your DUTY to SPEAK if you suspect someone is mentally ill.  SPEAK for your patient, his family, and yourself.

Parents, if you child worries you, TALK to him.  If you can't, SEEK HELP in doing so.

If you sell WEAPONS, vigorously CHECK on your customers before completing a transaction.  You can SAVE someone's life--including your own.

READERS, if YOU are anxious, depressed, angry, or lost ... PLEASE SEEK HELP.  There is no shame in taking care of yourself.  The MIND is very powerful, PROTECT it. 

For more information, please visit:

Okay, I'll come down again.   


No comments: