Saturday, December 15, 2012

Claus and a Confession


I'm still waiting for the "classic screaming" Santa picture!

*grin*

Yesterday marked Oliver's first visit with Santa Claus (7 months) ... and Jackson's third (2 years, 7 months) ... and both were pretty happy about it.  Big Jax was actually smiling initially, but the ladies snapping photographs were too busy talking to capture the picture.  So, we got this "after the fact" shot.  However, it's still pretty cute, I think!

***

This year's Santa visit was also a moment of conviction for myself in retrospect.  Some of you might have read my Facebook status yesterday morning that said:

"Kinda ... No, really ... Irritated at our Santa experience at Apple Blossom Mall. First, an entire preschool class takes a group picture for 20mins. Then, they all GET BACK IN LINE in front of us for individual pictures. Like 20+ kids. Not feeling the Christmas spirit. So rude!"

At the time I wrote it, with two little ones dressed nicely and "on borrowed time" ... it seemed like a legitimate complaint.  It was frustrating, disorganized, and inconsiderate.

However, I would later learn that while we were waiting in line to see Santa Claus, the horrific Sandy Hook Elementary School shooting was unfolding in Newtown, Connecticut.  

Kinda puts things into perspective.

Loudly.

***

So, for what it's worth, I checked my attitude for the rest of the day ... and I'm going to try to continue to do so.  I encourage you to do the same ... because I can all but guarantee I'm not the only one who has had a "bahumbug" moment this holiday season.

Let's collectively remember:
to not sweat the small stuff
that small acts of kindness go a long way
that we never know what another person is going through
that we aren't guaranteed a tomorrow
to never waste a moment to say "I love you"

and

that Christmas is a time to give, love, cherish, and share the Glory of Jesus' birth!

No comments: