Wednesday, October 28, 2009

Corn Maze Dayz

Hands down--no questions asked--Fall is certainly my most favorite time of the year. Bittersweet as it is, I always find myself getting most homesick during the months of September and October. Perhaps it's the crisp cool weather, the fact that my favorite color is everywhere (orange), the beautiful array of leaves changing colors before our eyes, or--and I really think this is why--it is because Fall reminds me of family--of apple picking, pumpkin carving, trick-or-treating, cider drinking fun. Hence, I was excited when I got to travel to Roanoke last weekend, even if it WAS for the H1N1 Vaccine.

After my oh-too-short two day trip home, I convinced mom to come up to Northern Va with me for the rest of the weekend. On Sunday, Justin too was off, and the three of us went to a corn maze/fall festival in The Plains, VA. It was fantastic--and really quenched my thirst for Fall activity that I so look forward to every year.


We enjoyed looking at livestock, going on a hayride around the farmland, watching adorable pumkin-clad kiddies romp in the fields, drinking hot apple cider, eating kettle corn, shopping at quaint Farmer's Market (excellent apples!), and navigating our way through a HUGE corn maze! It was exactly how I would spend everyday if I had it my way! No matter how long I live in Northern Virginia, my heart belongs in the country-- "you can take the girl out of the honky tonk, but you can't take the honky tony out of the girl!"

No comments: