Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Teeth

There are lots of things I don't like about my body--especially after having a baby.  But there is one thing that I do like about it.  My teeth.  I have good teeth.  I am one of those girls who a guy might say "yeah, her, she has nice...teeth" and actually mean it.  

So, you'll understand what I mean when I say that about 10 months ago when I went to Gateway Dental in Gainesville, VA (yes, I'm name dropping because you should know this) for my routine cleaning I had a rather interesting experience.  The dentist, who looked like we could have graduated kindergarten together, told me I had seven cavities, one of which needed major work (i.e. like an artificial tooth kind-of-deal).  You'll understand that I was shocked freakin' hysterical to the point that I started bawling in Target when I told my husband.  How could I have gone 23 years (at that time) without a single filling, and then suddenly develop 7 cavities in 6-months?  This was knife-renching news for me at the time.  To top it off, I was pregnant, and I couldn't do a darn thing about getting them repaired.  Plus, even with dental insurance, this was going to cost about $1,200.  It was the first time I had gone to a dentist outside of my hometown, and I was utterly devastated.

I sucked it up.
I didn't get any work done on my teeth.
And, I actually waited more than 6 months before returning for another cleaning.
Yes.
Out of fear.

Today, I went to Bristow Dental Care for a routine cleaning.  I didn't say anything about what the last dentist told me, and I didn't transfer my records.  I just allowed fate to take its course.  Low and behold--I have ZERO cavities.

Yeah, that's what I thought too.

Now I understand why the other dentist was stuttering when I questioned "I just don't see how I developed 7 cavities so quickly?"  He was a liar!  Can you fathom that he was actually going to pull and drill perfectly healthy teeth for money?  I am just flabbergasted.  Moreover, I am thankful that I followed my gut and didn't get that dental work done.

Case in point: DO NOT GO TO GATEWAY DENTAL.  And, if in doubt, always get a second opinion.
Ha!
Show me some teeth!

No comments: